Sunday, July 7, 2013

An Open Letter to the Boy Scouts of America

From an ex- eagle scout.


To whom it may concern:
I had to think a while before I wrote this letter. As I have gotten older, I have learned not to act rashly. I have now thought through what I must do, but do not wish to do.

I became an eagle scout in the 1970s. My mom hung the picture of our area wide “Eagle court of honor” in her hallway with pride until the day she died. When my sons came of age I encouraged them to becomes scouts. One of them also made it all the way to the coveted rank of eagle.

I had looked forward to my grandsons following the same course… and the privilege of sharing Scouting with them.

One of my fondest memories with my sons was at Philmont scout camp. We camped on the top of a mountain. The next morning we literally walked in the clouds as they rolled along the ground. Together we “touched the sky.”

I and my two sons swore the following oath as a prerequisite to our becoming scouts…(Each in our own generation)

Boy Scout Oath or PromiseOn my honor, I will do my bestTo do my duty to God and my country and to obey the Scout Law;To help other people at all times;To keep myself physically strong, mentally awake and morally straight.

Let’s see, the final point… the punch line of the oath that we swore, and you still post today has young men swearing to be… “MORALLY STRAIGHT!” How do you define “straight?” Even the homosexuals define “straight” the same way I do. Let’s see they use the words “gay” and “straight.”

You still post this oath… Did I miss something?



I was once proud of the stand taken by the scouts to defend a scout’s right to be reverent… all the way to the supreme court. The girl scouts caved in a long time ago… the Boy Scouts stood firm until now. You have made clear that it is all about money. A scout is “reverent,” unless money is to be made?

Today I am relinquishing the title of “Eagle Scout.” Do with it what you may. It is no longer a badge of honor, but it is now a symbol of corporate greed. For nearly 40 years proud of being an eagle, and the fact that my son after me was an eagle but to me wearing the title of a “Christian” still means far more to me than the rank of an eagle.

Swearing your duty to God still means that you must be morally straight even if the Boy Scouts chooses to be become morally corrupt so they can make more money.

God has spoken on this matter very clearly in His NEW TESTAMENT… Actually it describes what is now happening to the Boy Scout organization. History repeats itself regularly.

Romans 1

21 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful ; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened . 22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools , 23 And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things. 24 Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves: 25 Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator , who is blessed forever. Amen. 26 For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature: 27 And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another ; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompense of their error which was meet . 28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient.”

How can you promise to do your duty to God and defend, endorse and embrace what He calls a “reprobate mind?” Let’s see how does your Bible read??? Maybe it says “depraved mind” (NASB), or perhaps “indecent acts” (NIV) other translations can the behavior an abomination! Can you hold a straight face and call it “morally straight?”

When I take an oath it means something. I also made an oath to the Lord Jesus. “Morally Straight” is not the compatible with “depraved”… The Holy Spirit said description of Homosexuality. All the corporate money, all the votes of your board members and all the political wishey washy in the world cannot change it.

My mom was so proud when I put on my eagle badge… I am glad she didn’t live to have to watch me take it off in disgust.
Jerry Blount
An Ex-Eagle scout
Because I choose to remain a Christian…

“Rather, let God be found true, though every man be found a liar,” Romans 3:4


Hi I am glad you stopped by our blog. These articles are from an emailing that we did several years ago.   Today most of our work is on facebook

You can follow my personal page on Facebook by clicking on this link    ...  


You can follow the postings on the congregation's page by clicking on this link....   



If you wish to worship with us....
Las Vegas church of Christ
709 Dora Celeste
Las Vegas, NM 87701

Our meeting times are
10am Sunday morning for Bible study.
11am Sunday morning for the worship service.
6pm Wednesday evening for Midweek Bible study.

If you wish to contact me...
yakipreacher@gmail.com

Be well 

Jerry Blount